Monday, April 4, 2011

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Bear with me as this will probably be the lengthiest post....serving as sort of an introduction to me/it. (unless ya'll like all the reading! I personally prefer photos)

Ok, let's start out with the 5 stages of grief. I'm sure many of you have heard of it, but you may be thinking right now, "what does this have to do with shopping/ fashion?" Ok I live in one of the fashion capitals of the world- New York City, the city that never sleeps, the Big Apple. Soho and 5th avenue are literally minutes away from my door, and IT'S BAD. Regardless, living back home (northern CA) it was pretty bad too. But here, it's gotten worse, much worse. My credit card statement is something to scream at and my obsession with every thing fashion has gotten so big....that I decided I wouldn't just buy clothes and drool over them...I would write about them too. OK- so back to the 5 stages of grief.
1. Denial and Isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance
How do these things connect to fashion? Well in my case.... moving to New York was new. I met new people and people here got to know me. After a while it became pretty apparent that I had a problem...with the amount of money I spent on clothes, accessories, etc. After a while, I got called out...and of course this is where step 1 comes in. I claimed that I didn't have a problem, that this was "normal", that all girls would drop hundreds of dollars on weekly shopping excursions. And then I hid away from everyone everytime I entered the building with shopping bags.
Step 2: Anger. I was angry at myself for wanting, desperately wanting these things. Why did they make me happy? They were just things after all....but beautiful things. Was I being too materialistic? And let's face it...I didn't exactly have the money for this habit.
3. Bargaining: How about I buy this and not that? How about I buy this this month, and that the next month?
4. Depression: I SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY ON CLOTHES AND AM FAR TOO OBSESSED!
5. Acceptance: OK I realize I have a problem, and for a while I tried to control myself. It wasn't happening...so I'm just gonna go with it. but try not to acquire too much debt. AND of course share with ya'll my shopping/fashion expeditions.

Have fun reading/looking/leaving comments and feedback!
PS- Why do so many fashion blogs solely consist of the blogger taking a bajillion pictures of themselves in a certian outfit!?
Is that a tad bit annoying, or is that just me? Leave comments/ feed back!

1 comment:

  1. hello juju bean. I am sitting in Bobst and I decided to read your blog...lol

    ReplyDelete